Nova Pioneer is looking for a stellar Talent Associate to assist with the administration of day-to-day operations of the Talent (HR) functions and duties.This is an opportunity to help create a transformative brand with the future of Africa’s youth at stake.
About Nova Pioneer
Imagine a world in which every young person across Africa attends a school that truly sets them up for success in the 21st century. A school that cares about individual students and allows them to explore the world around them. A school that focuses more on developing skills than on memorizing content. At Nova Pioneer, we have done more than just imagine this future, we are bringing it to life. Nova Pioneer is a Pan-African, independent network of schools offering high quality, accessible education from pre-primary through secondary school. Nova Pioneer uses a unique, inquiry-based learning approach that encourages students to ask “why” instead of telling them the “what”. It allows them to form their own thinking through exploration, investigation, and collaboration. Nova Pioneer currently has 6 schools in South Africa and Kenya with a vision to launch 100 schools and reach tens of thousands of students across the African continent in the next decade. To learn more visit www.novapioneer.com.
About the role:
As a Talent Associate you will be responsible for assisting the Talent Director in providing an effective and efficient human resource generalist functions aligned with departmental and company strategic goals.
You are expected to successfully implement HR strategy and deliver customer service within the organization. The responsibilities will include strategic partnership and organization design, recruitment and selection, employment equity, salary and benefits management, employee relations, talent retention, performance management, change management, diversity management, skills development, policies and procedures, HR reporting and HR projects.
Working at Nova means:
- Fully embracing Nova’s values and beliefs and promote them to students, staff, other faculty, parents and members of the outside community .
- Living the culture principles inside and outside of the school.
- Working cohesively in a team, being respectful of each person’s contributions and style.
- Maintaining positive, constructive and professional relationships with students, their families, and colleagues.
How will your day to day at Nova look like?
- Support with staff onboarding to ensure that staff are fully inducted into the Nova Culture and seamlessly set up to use the various Nova Pioneer systems.
- Enroll new employees by issuing forms and applications; verifying completion.
- Support with employment processing, health and welfare benefits, records management, safety and health, compliance, and labor relations; completing personnel transactions.
- Protect organization's value by keeping information confidential.
- Improve manager and employee relations by working closely with them to identify and clarify problems; evaluating potential solutions; consulting the Director of Talent and implementing selected solutions; coaching and counseling managers and employees.
- Comply with local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation; anticipating legislation; enforcing adherence to requirements; advising management on needed actions.
- Accomplish human resources and organization mission by completing related results as needed.
- Develop human resources solutions by collecting and analyzing information; recommending courses of action.
- Update job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
- Maintain all HR systems and propose better ways to enhance efficiency using technology.
- Maintain an updated HR tracker and input it with all the requisite candidate data.
Recruitment and Selection
Support with all aspects of Recruitment and Selection including:
- Executing the elements of the recruitment and selection e.g. Phone screening, Scheduling Interviews, Coordinating Performance Tasks etc.
- Produce clear, strong, effective communications to attract prospective candidates
- Coordinating communications with potential interview candidates (Jazz, Telerivet, Email, SMS, Phone) using prescribed communications’ templates.
- Provide information by answering communications; referring special communications to appropriate job applicants.
- Be the focal/contact person for prospective candidates throughout the hiring process and coordinate all aspects of interviews with strong/high quality candidates.
- Ensure that all interview logistics are organized and that interview tools are printed in readiness for interviews.
- Coordinate all aspects of the interview process with Nova Hiring Managers and the general team ensuring smooth handover to the Nova team and closure with candidates
- Collect and record all interview data during and after interviews.
- Prepare briefing memos/reports to Hiring Managers leads after interviews providing key summaries and next steps.
- Maintain human resources records by maintaining applications, résumés, and applicant logs.
- Develop and support innovative strategies for researching and cultivating international and local pools of talent and individual prospects.
- Verify candidate’s background by contacting references and writing clear reference-checking notes.
- Maintain confidentiality by keeping human resources information confidential.
- Update on-the-job-knowledge by participating in training opportunities, reading technical publications etc.
- Propose strategies for strengthening a strong pipeline of high quality applicants with the goal of filling-up current and future roles at Nova.
- Follow-through on outreach to high quality candidates identified for roles at Nova and share the Nova vision with the goal of converting them to applicants.
- Support the Talent/Partnerships Director by preparing requisite briefing materials for discussions with potential external lead generation partners.
- Build relationships with feeder Universities/academic institutions, organizing events that showcase Nova Pioneer etc.
- Organize events, including at Nova Pioneer and on University campuses, to drive awareness of Nova and our value proposition to prospective Teachers and staff.
The above statements are not a complete list of all responsibilities and duties performed by employees in this job. Employee may perform other related duties as assigned by their supervisor.
- You love people and think, eat, sleep, dream people.
- You have I-3 years’ experience in a busy start up or innovative organization that cares deeply about people development. Previous experience in a school would be great but not compulsory.
- You have experience with Administration, Recruitment and Systems set-up.
- You have exposure to Business or HR training. This is preferred but not compulsory as passion, skills and experience are the elements that will make you successful in this role
- You have exposure to 1-2 solid internships in well-recognized companies and perhaps 1 full-time role in Administration/HR.
- A Bachelor’s degree in HR.
HOW TO APPLY
Does working at Nova Pioneer excite you? If so, then apply now!
To apply, please complete the form on the right-hand side of this page. We cannot process applications that are emailed to us.
Please note: Where a copy of your resume is required, copying and pasting from a formatted document e.g. Microsoft Word may not result in the formatting transferring correctly to the final resume. You are encouraged to attach your resume in Microsoft Word® or PDF format to protect formatting.
All applications will be reviewed and successful applicants notified of next steps within a week. There are a series of stages in the Nova Pioneer interview process and candidates will be moved forward in the process depending on their success in the previous stage. The process is as follows:
- Phone interview: a short conversation to understand your skills and experience a little better.
- Practical demonstration of what you can do: you will complete a written task or a demonstration related to the role you are applying for. Teachers participate in a half-day selection day at one of our campuses as well as deliver a lesson to a class.
- In-person interviews: at this point, you will visit one of our schools to meet the team and participate in a series of in-person interviews.
- Final interview: you’ll have a final conversation with the hiring manager before decisions are made.
WORKING AT NOVA PIONEER
Nova Pioneer is a place where our people experience tremendous growth, fast! We invest heavily in the growth of our people because it leads to greater mastery in both us and our students. “Novaneers” work harder and work longer hours than at most schools but as a result, the growth they experience is extraordinary. We offer consistent and ongoing professional development and provide clear career pathways that ensure that our people are always achieving their personal and professional best. Nova Pioneer has a highly energetic, entrepreneurial environment where our people get to bring their creative and innovative ideas to life. We look for people who are flexible and who are able to adapt and respond quickly to adversity with a positive, can-do attitude (there are no problems, only solutions!). We welcome challenges and roll with the punches because it makes us, and our students, better. There is no problem too big for us! We work hard but we also have a lot of fun together. We bring infectious energy and enthusiasm to everything we do because joy fuels the hardest work and learning.